Details |
Former corn mill, and now converted to use as a village hall and cottage. The village hall is dated 1743, and was re-built in the mid-19th century. The 1st edition OS map shows a central L-plan building, with a smaller rectangular building to the East, and another the West, with a narrow building to the North of it. On the 2nd edition OS map, it is annotated as a Drill Hall, and remains an L-plan building. The building to the East has gone. The building to the West has been slightly shortened, and joined to the building to the North, which has been heavily altered. Presently, the Western building has been altered into an L-plan building, with a porch on the North elevation, and converted into a cottage. The central building appears little-altered on plan, and has been converted into a village hall. There is a large new building to the East, covering the site of the previous building shown on the 1st edition OS map. The village hall was also used at one time as a fire station. The village hall building is rubble-built, with two storeys and a slate roof. It also has an inset stone dated 1743 and with the initials 'EC. IA. MA'. Photographic recording was carried out in 2019 ahead of proposed conversion to residential use.
|