Details |
Remains of the church of the former parish of Meathie-Lour which was suppressed in 1667. The church, dedicated in 1243, was then allowed to fall into ruin. The now overgrown foundations of this church reveal a rectangular structure measuring 21 m x 7 m externally, the walls of which are 1 m thick and 0.3 m - 0.5 m high, except for a fragment of the north wall at the east end which has been rebuilt to a height of 2 m and on which is an inscription which states that this was the burial place of the Bowers of Kingoldrum in the 18th century, and that the foundations of the church were exposed by excavation in 1926. An ornamental sacrament house, discovered in 1926, has been built into this modern wall. In the north wall, 5 m from the west wall, is a doorway 1 m wide which shows the bases of finely moulded jambs. Immediately opposite this, in the south wall, is another doorway, and a further break of 1 m in the south wall, 6 m from the east end may represent yet another doorway. Fragments of carved stones and old grave-slabs lie amid the thick undergrowth which covers the site. A low dry-stone wall still surrounds the graveyard but no erect slabs exist within it.
|