Angus HER - NO45SE0175 - PITSCANDLY HOUSE

Print site NO45SE0175 Feedback on site NO45SE0175

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO45SE0175
NamePITSCANDLY HOUSE
NRHE Card No.NO45SE214
NRHE Numlink 194899
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 17657
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Mansion house with gardens and a home farm, still in use. The mansion is probably late-17th or early-18th century, as is a dovecot on the grounds, although it has later alterations. The walled garden is 18th century, and a sundial in the garden is dated 1772, and was possibly re-made in the 19th century. On the 1st edition OS map, the mansion is shown as U-plan open to the east, with the northern wing detached. The walled garden to the east is D-plan, and has a greenhouse and three rectangular buildings around the outside of the walls. The steading is to the south-east, and is also U-plan, open to the west. The southern range is detached, and has a house-mill on the western end. There is an L-plan building to the south of the steading. The dovecot to the south of the mansion is shown at unroofed. The gardens to the east and west of the mansion, excluding the walled garden, are wooded. On the 2nd edition OS map there are some additional buildings on the exterior of the walled garden, and the south range of the steading has been extended. The gardens to the west of the mansion are less wooded, and there is a sundial within it. The dovecot is now depicted as roofed. Current maps show the steading has had the court partially filled. The mansion is a harled, two-storey. Classic house with a slate roof. The central bay is pedimented to the front and rear with oculus windows. There is a central moulded and pedimented doorpiece on the front west elevation. The rear wings enclose a sunk courtyard, and one of the wings is vaulted. The dovecot is a rectangular lectern type, constructed from white-washed rubble with a slate roof. The walled garden has a brick-lined rubble wall enclosure, with walls on average 8 feet (2.4 metres) high. There is some wallhead decoration of carved stone fragments. The sundial shown on the 2nd edition OS map has a square shaft supporting a cubical head and splayed table, with an inset stone dial dated 1772. There is a second global sundial mounted on a heavily moulded base in the garden. It is incomplete, and of uncertain date.
Last Update22/08/2017
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Google Map for NO45SE0175

National Grid Reference: NO 4844 5253



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
MANSIONS TWO-STOREYA100
DOVECOTSRUBBLE-BUILTLECTERN-TYPEB100
FARMSTEADS  C100
SUNDIALSGLOBULAR D100
SUNDIALSSQUARE E100
GARDENSWALLED F100
DOORPIECES PEDIMENTEDG100
BAYS PEDIMENTEDH100
COURTYARDSSUNKEN I100
WINGSREAR J100
STONES CARVEDO100
SHAFTSSQUARE P100
TABLES SPLAYEDQ100
DIALSSTONEDATEDR100
BASES MOULDEDS100
DOORPIECES MOULDEDK100
WINGS VAULTEDL100
ROOFSSLATE M100
WALLHEADS DECORATEDN100