Details |
Manse, still in use, depicted on historic OS maps. The 1st and 2nd edition shows the manse set within garden grounds and with, to the west, a U-plan steading with attached horsemill on the east side, and a rectangular building to the south. The manse is a plain two-storey building, with a door lintel dated 1820. It is shown on the OS maps from the 1st edition onwards. It is a 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, L-plan house, harled the east gable rendered with ashlar margins. The south, principal, elevation has steps and flanking railings leading to the doorway with plate glass fanlight under dated lintel. To the north are two ancillary buildings. The garden walls are of random rubble, coped with a pedestrian gate with carved datestone (1836) at the east, and carved ha-ha to the south. Inserted in the wall at the east is a row of bee-boles, with ashlar framework and iron guard. Former ministers of the church include the Rev William Small (born 1734), son of the Reverend James Small, then minister of the Church of Carmyllie became Professor of Natural History at William and Mary College in Virginia in 1755 where his students included Thomas Jefferson, future 3rd president of the USA. Small used the 1320 Declaration of Arbroath to illustrate the importance of freedom, independence and democracy, concepts which influenced Jefferson who used similar ideals and even words in the drafting of the US Declaration of Independence. See also NO54SW0030 (hearse house) and NO54SW0031 (Beadles House).
|