Angus HER - NO56SW0027 - CARESTON STATION

Print site NO56SW0027 Feedback on site NO56SW0027

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO56SW0027
NameCARESTON STATION
NRHE Card No.NO56SW27
NRHE Numlink 87514
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of a railway station and a section of the former Caledonian Railway's line between Brechin and Forfar (East Junction). This line opened to traffic on 07/01/1895 and was closed to passengers on 04/08/1952 and to goods traffic on 07/09/1964. The station is shown on the 2nd edition OS map where it comprises two platforms on the through line with various railway buildings including a signal box, and to the south is a goods yard with sidings, a goods shed and crane. The station buildings were still standing in the early 1970s and were recorded by Hume. Today, parts of the platforms appear to survive, the rest of the site having been cleared.
Last Update02/07/2019
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 353690.489497169, Northing: 760910.8718555

Google Map for NO56SW0027

National Grid Reference: NO 5369 6091



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
STATIONSRAILWAYREMAINS OFA100
PLATFORMS REMAINS OFB100
BOXES SIGNALC100
CRANES SITE OFD100
SHEDSGOODSSITE OFE100