Angus SMR - NO64NW0004 - COLLISTON CASTLE

Print site NO64NW0004 Feedback on site NO64NW0004

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO64NW0004
NameCOLLISTON CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NO64NW4
NRHE Numlink 35474
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 4740
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Laird's house, still in use, and a steading and lodge. It was occuped by the Guthries until 1670, after the land was sold to John Guthrie and Isobel Ogilvy, husband and wife, by Cardinal Beaton in 1545. The exact 16th century date of the original construction is disputed. It could have been built when it was first bought, but later dates are more likely, with 1553 as one suggested date and 1583 another, as suggested by a datestone on the stair turret. It was later altered in 1621, the 18th century, and again in 1893 by Hay and Henderson, architects. The main block is three-storeys and attic, with crow-stepped gables, and is oriented North-West/South-East, with towers to the North and South corners and slate roofs. On the 1st edition OS map, there is a rectangular court projecting North-East, with the North-West wall flush with the North-West elevation of the main block, and the South-East wall re-joining the main block roughly half way down the North-East elevation. On the 2nd edition OS map, the major alterations from 1893 are visible. To the East of the main block, a large wing has been constructed, projecting beyond the South-East elevation of the original block, and its rear taking up a large amount of the court, although a small court remains with an opening in the North-West wall. To the North-West of the house is a U-shaped steading, open to the South-West. On the 2nd edition OS map, the steading remains the same, but there is a rectangular building in front of the South-West opening, and another small partially-roofed building to the West. To the South-East of the house is a lodge, which was built in the 19th century and is not visible on the 1st edition OS map. Presently, the range remains as it was, although the buildings seen on the 2nd edition OS map have gone, with three new buildings to the North of the steading. A rectangular building, oriented North-East/South-West has been built to the North of the house. The lodge, which was rectangular on the 2nd edition OS map, had been greatly expanded, with a new wing built on its South-Western face that projects beyond the limits of the original lodge. The main house itself has pink harling to the variously dated constructions. It includes some re-used material, which was probably originally from the house, but had been moved to a neighbouring steading before being brought back to the house. The South-West front of the earlier block has three oval gunloops, with a slit window above the right-hand gunloop, all from the 16th century. There are two later larger windows, inserted to the left and centre of the elevation. The centre window is in place of a 17th or early 18th century central doorway, which temporarily replaced the original entrance in the tower, before being blocked up again in 1893. Above this window is a decorative stone, which was probably originally above the doorway. There is a central panel with the Royal Arms of James IV carved into it. There are flanking panels, displaying the date 1621 and the motto LAVS DEO, and the initials of Henrie Guthrie and Jean Lindsay, husband and wife. There is also a dormerhead with a rose flanked by thistles, possibly a celebration of the Union of Crown in 1603. Above the left window there is a re-used weathered dormerhead, probably inserted in 1893. It has human figures displayed at the bottom corners, one of which is Diana, symbolic of Chastity. On the first floor, there are three tall 16th century windows with moulded surrounds. Between two of the windows is a stone displaying the coat of arms and initials of George Chaplin and the date 1721, the year in which he bought the estate. On the second floor, there are three windows, smaller than those on the first floor, and with a string course framing the windows. Above this are three dormers sitting behind a wallhead with wide crenellations, which was added in 1893. The tower in the South corner of the earlier block is round at the first two floors, with a corbelled rectangular top floor, which is oriented diagonally to the main block. The tower was lowered in the 17th or 18th century to the height of the wallhead of the main block, and the heightened to its original height again in 1893. In the West-facing elevation at the ground floor of the tower, below the stair tower (see below), is the original 16th century entrance with a moulded surround. Beside the stair tower is a first floor window with cows' heads carved under the ends of the cill. Above this is a smaller second floor window. The South elevation of the tower is plain, with two gunloops in the first two floors, and a central window within the crowstepped gable on the top floor. In the West re-entrant angle between the tower and the main block is a stair tower, corbelled out from the base of the first floor. It has a conical roof with an apex finial, and was also heightened in 1893. Within the turret are two carved stones. The lower with the date 1583 and the motto LAVS.DAO, and the upper with a heraldic panel displaying the coats of arms and initials of John Guthrie and Marion Falconer, husband and wife, who held the estate from 1580 to 1620. The North tower of the earlier block is similar to the South tower, but is round for the full elevation. It is four-storeys, with windows of varying shapes and sizes to each floor. It was heightened in 1893, and given a corbelled parapet. The South-East facing elevation is mainly made up of a Baronial wing, built in 1893 to replace the earlier wing in its place. At the South-Western side of the elevation is a three-storey, three-bay, three-sided bay, projecting from under a crowstepped gable. The North-Eastern section of the elevation is three-storey and with two bays, with crosses between the first and second floor windows. The second floor windows are within dormers that break the wallhead. The exposed South-West facing elevation, where the new wing projects from the old, has a stone inscribed with the date 1893 and the initials of John Peebles Chaplin and Caroline Watson Copley, husband and wife. Above this stone is a triangular re-used dormerhead, probably from the 17th century. To the rear of this wing is a court of offices, also built in 1893, and which are enclosed by a screen wall with arrow slits and crenelated round towers at the North-East corners.
Last Update27/09/2018
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 361222.778545651, Northing: 746402.43945148

Google Map for NO64NW0004

National Grid Reference: NO 6122 4640



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CASTLES  A100
TOWERSROUND B100
SHOT-HOLES  C100
TURRETSSTAIR D100
DATESTONES  E100
HOUSESLAIRD F100
STEADINGS U-PLANG100
LODGES  H100
GABLES CROW-STEPPEDI100
COURTSRECTANGULAR J100
BUILDINGSRECTANGULARSITE OFK100
WINDOWSSLIT L100
DOORWAYS BLOCKEDM100
STONES DECORATIVEN100
COAT-OF-ARMSROYAL O100
PANELS DATEDP100
PANELS INSCRIBEDQ100
PANELS INITIALLEDR100
DORMER-HEADS RE-USEDS100
WINDOWS MOULDEDT100
STRING-COURSES  U100
DORMERS  V100
WALLHEADS CRENELLATEDW100
CARVINGS COWX100
TOWERSSTAIRCORBELLEDY100
ROOFS CONICALZ100
ROOFSSLATE AA100
FINIALS APEXAB100
PANELSHERALDIC AC100
PARAPETS CORBELLEDAD100
12