Details |
Site of a barrow, depicted as a Tumuli on the OS 1st edition map, and a Tumulus (Site of) on the OS 2nd edition map. The Lousy, or Lucy Hillock, measured about 40 yards (36.5 m) in diameter and 9 ft (2.7 m) in height, was composed of black earth and was 'fenced with a dike or rampart of loose stones' (NSA 1845). It was removed by the farmer in the 1830s and was found to contain a cist 24 inches (61 cm) by 13 inches (33 cm) by 18 inches (45.7 cm) deep, 'filled with about half a bushel of bones in a very broken and decomposed state, and among these were found three flint arrowheads' (NSA 1845). Don, whose father removed the mound, noted that the cist contained pieces of 'metal weapons and armour' and that 'the best of the relics were sent to Mr. Spied of Ardovie' (NO 59 56), and 'some found their way to Montrose Museum'. (Don 1896). No remains were discovered by the OS in 1971, although a slight rise in a field still marks the site.
|