Angus HER - NO66SE0113 - CRAIGO MILL

Print site NO66SE0113 Feedback on site NO66SE0113

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO66SE0113
NameCRAIGO MILL
NRHE Card No.NO66SE39
NRHE Numlink 107832
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Former textile mills. On the 1st edition OS map (c.1846) they are marked as Bleach Works, but by the 2nd edition map (c.1888) they are marked as Jute spinning mills. Formerly a works operated by J and D Wilkie Ltd of Kirriemuir, it was closed and sold in 1987. The mill was previously owned by Richards of Aberdeen (in the 19th century). This former jute spinning complex is now used predominantly as warehousing. It is the opinion of Mark Watson (Historic Scotland) that the works had been mostly rebuilt as a single-storeyed, mostly rubble-built unit in 1909, and that most of the jute warehouses, many of which are corrugated sheet metal structures, originate from after that date.
Last Update30/07/2012
Updated Byaas
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 368891.766202744, Northing: 764680.218896022

Google Map for NO66SE0113

National Grid Reference: NO 6889 6468



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
MILLSJUTEREMAINS OFA100
BLEACHWORKS SITE OFB100
MILLS SPINNINGC100
WAREHOUSES  D100