Aberdeenshire HER - NJ31SE0004 - GLENBUCHAT CASTLE

Print site NJ31SE0004 Feedback on site NJ31SE0004

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ31SE0004
NameGLENBUCHAT CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NJ31SE4
NRHE Numlink 16780
HES SM No. 90151
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of Z-plan castle, built in 1590 by John Gordon and Helen Carnegie whose initials can be seen on the door lintel. The castle has square towers in northeast and southwest, square and circular angle turrets, turnpike stairs in the north and re-entrant angles on trompe arches. The first floor of the main block contains the great hall, with laird's chamber in the north east tower. Extensive alterations included the partitioning of the hall and the reworking of the upper floors. There was formerly a courtyard to the south. It was sold by the last Gordon of Glenbuchat to the Duff family in 1738. The walled garden to the south east (NJ31SE0175) is probably at least partially the original castle garden, although is early 19th century in its current form.
Last Update25/03/2020
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 339729.343055037, Northing: 814900.550814483

Google Map for NJ31SE0004

National Grid Reference: NJ 3972 1490



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CASTLES Z-PLANA100
TOWERSSQUARE B100
TURRETSANGLE C100
STAIRCASESTURNPIKE D100
ARCHES TROMPEE100
GABLES CROW-STEPPEDF100
GUARD-ROOMS  G100
LINTELS DATEDH100
GUN-LOOPS  I100