Aberdeenshire HER - NJ50SE0001 - AUCHENHOVE CASTLE

Print site NJ50SE0001 Feedback on site NJ50SE0001

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ50SE0001
NameAUCHENHOVE CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NJ50SE1
NRHE Numlink 17486
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of a castle and later farmstead, now only low walls or foundations. The OS Name Book (1867) recorded that what remained of the walls of the castle were incorporated into the steading of Easter Mains. The farmstead is depicted on the OS map of 1867 as a rectangular-shaped range with central open court, and horsemill on the north side of the north range. The northern range extends further to the west. To the south is an L-plan building, and some distance to the north of the steading is a group of small buildings, possibly cottages. These, the building south of the steading and the horsemill had been removed by the dime of the 2nd edition map at which time the farmstead appears to be disused. The estate belonged to the Duguid family from the 15th century and the castle may have been built in the late 16th century, but was burned down in 1745. Simpson (1929) noted that only foundations could be traces amid the remains of the farmstead, and suggested that it was a late courtyard house with causeway approach. OS (1968) found no definite trace if the castle, although the walls of the later buildings contain large facing stones which probably came from the castle.
Last Update07/09/2015
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 355466.392513738, Northing: 802518.823917973

Google Map for NJ50SE0001

National Grid Reference: NJ 5546 0251



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CASTLES REMAINS OFA100
COURTYARDS U-PLANB100
FARMSTEADS REMAINS OFC100
HORSE-MILLS SITE OFD100
BUILDINGS SITE OFE100
COTTAGES SITE OFF100
HOUSES  G100