Aberdeenshire HER - NJ62NW0053 - DUNNIDEER

Print site NJ62NW0053 Feedback on site NJ62NW0053

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ62NW0053
NameDUNNIDEER
NRHE Card No.NJ62NW23
NRHE Numlink 18143
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Documentary Record Only
Site Condition Unlocated
Details Alleged site of an abbey, and possible site of a chapel. It was recorded in 1828 that 'without the rampart of Dunnideer Fort can be traced many other buildings round the Abbey Church which is nearly 100ft by 40ft, consecrated to St Valentine and part of the Abbey of Lindores'. Whilst possible that a medieval chapel may have been associated with Dunnideer Castle, it is most unlikely that there was an abbey here. It may have been a local tradition derived from the fact that the Abbey of Lindores held property in Insch parish. The chapel is first mentioned in 1732 by Alexander Keith who noted the existence of a chapel dedicated to St John at 'Dundore Castle'
Last Update06/11/2019
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 361000, Northing: 828000

Google Map for NJ62NW0053

National Grid Reference: NJ 6100 2800



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CHAPELS SITE OFB80
ABBEYS SITE OFA40