Aberdeenshire HER - NJ72NE0012 - MOUNIE CASTLE

Print site NJ72NE0012 Feedback on site NJ72NE0012

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ72NE0012
NameMOUNIE CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NJ72NE14
NRHE Numlink 18731
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 2793
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Mounie Castle, built c.1641 by Robert Farquhar, Provost of Aberdeen. It subsequently passed in 1701-2 to Alexander Hay of Arnbath and then in 1714 to George Seton earning it the moniker of the 'Last Seton Castle'. It is a good example of a Laird's house, a plain harled three-storey main block aligned N-S with crow-stepped gables, with a circular stair tower projecting eastwards from the middle of the E front. The stair tower is very elegantly corbelled to square to form a little cap-house-like top. The one and a half storeyed building at the northeast is late 18th century. The garden house (at NJ7658 2866) was previously a 17th Century dovecot, although no dovecot features survive.
Last Update06/03/2020
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 376656.962126346, Northing: 828673.690434397

Google Map for NJ72NE0012

National Grid Reference: NJ 7665 2867



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CASTLES  A100
HOUSESLAIRD B100
TOWERSCIRCULAR C100
TURRETSSTAIR D100
WATCH-CHAMBERS  E100
GABLES CROW-STEPPEDF100
CELLARS VAULTEDG100
KITCHENS VAULTEDH100
FIREPLACES ARCHEDI100
BASINSSTONE J100
GARDENSWALLED K100
DOVECOTS REMAINS OFL100
HOUSESSUMMER M100