Aberdeenshire HER - NJ72NW0009 - PITCAPLE CASTLE

Print site NJ72NW0009 Feedback on site NJ72NW0009

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ72NW0009
NamePITCAPLE CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NJ72NW10
NRHE Numlink 18790
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 2830
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Castle, built in the late 15th Century by the Leslies, who were granted the lands in 1457, as a towerhouse with an open parapet. It was reconstructed in the early 17th Century as a Z-plan chateau of four storeys, five for the round angle towers at the east and west angles. The whole castle is harled with crowstepped gables. Queen Mary is said to have stayed here in 1562, and the castle became the an important seat of the Marquis of Huntly in 1639. Montrose and Charles II lodges at the castle in 1644. In 1757 the estate passed to Jane Lumsden (nee Leslie). William Burn added a two-storey extension to the SW, with a new entrance porch and turret in the angle, in 1830 for Hugh Lumsden. The service court and other additions, including the red granite Corinthian columns in the hall, were added in 1870 by Duncan MacMillan. No trace now of the moat and outer wall which formerly surrounded the late medieval castle.
Last Update15/05/2020
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 372717.441910584, Northing: 826069.381605641

Google Map for NJ72NW0009

National Grid Reference: NJ 7271 2606



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
COLUMNS CORINTHIANJ100
CASTLES Z-PLANA100
TOWERSROUND B100
TOWERSSTAIR C100
TURRETSANGLE D100
PARAPETS SITE OFE100
MOATS SITE OFF100
COURTYARDS SITE OFG100
GABLES CROW-STEPPEDH100
PORCHESENTRANCE I100