Aberdeenshire HER - NJ72SE0160 - INVERURIE TOWN HALL

Print site NJ72SE0160 Feedback on site NJ72SE0160

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ72SE0160
NameINVERURIE TOWN HALL
NRHE Card No.NJ72SE110
NRHE Numlink 18877
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 35399
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Town Hall, still in use. The Town Hall was built in 1862 to a design by John Russell Mackenzie, replacing a townhouse of 1807. The present building is of baroque style of granite ashlar, comprising two storeys with projecting end bays topped with lions. The centrepiece has giant Doric pilasters and a balustraded parapet from which rises a fanciful, diagonally set cupola of Spanish baroque inspiration in painted wood. The library (a Carnegie Library) and museum were added in 1911 (architects George Gordon Jenkins and Harbourne Maclennan). The building was damaged by fire in 1929, and was reconstructed in 1930 by local architect George Gray.
Last Update31/03/2022
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 377522.732706759, Northing: 821606.049529909

Google Map for NJ72SE0160

National Grid Reference: NJ 7752 2160



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
TOWNHOUSES  B100
HALLSTOWN C100
MUSEUMS  A100