Aberdeenshire HER - NJ72SW0004 - BALQUHAIN CASTLE

Print site NJ72SW0004 Feedback on site NJ72SW0004

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ72SW0004
NameBALQUHAIN CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NJ72SW5
NRHE Numlink 19022
HES SM No. 90
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of castle comprising the massive and impressive remains of a quadrangular crenellated keep, probably originally 15th century. The lower parts of the walls, probably original, are extremely thick with deep recesses and narrow loops. The barmkin wall encloses the highest part of a knoll. Some of the outbuildings can still be traced. The castle belonged to the Leslies, Barons of Balquhain, and it was here that Mary Queen of Scots spent the night before the Battle of Corrichie in 1562. The castle was burnt down by the Duke of Cumberland in 1746. The late 18th Century farmhouse near the castle has 2 stones built into its gable with the initials IHS and MRA and the date 1677.
Last Update27/04/2020
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 373152.421472412, Northing: 823607.737880642

Google Map for NJ72SW0004

National Grid Reference: NJ 7315 2360



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CASTLES REMAINS OFA100
KEEPSRECTANGULAR B100
RECESSES  C100
WINDOWS NARROWD100
WALLSBARMEKINREMAINS OFE100
OUTBUILDINGS REMAINS OFF100
STONES DATEDG100
STONES INITIALLEDH100