Aberdeenshire HER - NJ73NW0019 - BLACKFORD

Print site NJ73NW0019 Feedback on site NJ73NW0019

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ73NW0019
NameBLACKFORD
NRHE Card No.NJ73NW23
NRHE Numlink 76765
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Remains of mansion house and site of manor. The U-plan house is depicted on the OS 1st and 2nd edition maps, but is mentioned from at least 1654.. Writing in 1723, William Walker reported that 'Blakfoord is a pretty new house, built after the English modell, anno MDCCXXII ...'. it then belonged to Alexander Forbes, whose father has bought the estate of Blackford from his father-in-law Alexander Gellie in c.1702. A possession of the Forbeses until 1851, it appears that during the 16th century and probably earlier, Blackford had belonged to a branch of the Garden family. Early in the 19th century, Alexander Forbes's 'fine new house' seems to have been replaced by a new mansion. It was unroofed in the 1940's, the central portion of this has since been converted for use as a modern house. A stone lined ice-house lies in the grounds near to the main house.
Last Update12/12/2018
Updated Bycpalmer
CompilerNQB
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 370264.854318195, Northing: 835738.91457361

Google Map for NJ73NW0019

National Grid Reference: NJ 7026 3573



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
ICE-HOUSES  I100
MANORS SITE OFA90
MANSIONS REMAINS OFB100
GARDENSWALLED C100
DOVECOTSCIRCULAR D100
ROOFS CONICALE100
RAT-LEDGES  F100
BOXESSTONENESTINGG100
WEATHER-VANES COCKERELH100