Details |
Former hotel and houses, now disused. The original hotel was built in the later 18th century, with a later two-storey range which comprises houses of different builds. The south four bays of the later range are the earliest, with the remainder added in the early to mid 19th century. There is a nine-bay harled frontage with contrasting painted margins. The earliest portion has two doorways and small first floor windows with later glazing. Various rear additions include a substantial two-storey range at right angles. There are coped end and ridge stacks to the slate roof. A Level 1 Standing Building Survey was carried out in 2022 by NB Planning Architecture prior to proposed redevelopment of the hotel to residential use. The survey related only to the later two-storey northwest block of the hotel, including its two rear flat roof extensions and the garden area, enclosed by a stone wall to the lane. The Dower Hotel has likely origins in the 1790s, when the local laird, William Gordon of Aberdour, sought to establish a new planned village in October 1797. The ‘white building’, the former Bar Lounge with bedrooms above, is from the 1840s, with a 1970s interior which does not include any original historic features. The block may have been built with an external stair for a separate function from the hotel and then joined together in the late 19th century. The building has been empty and decaying since the early 2000s and parts of building are at the point of collapse.
|