Aberdeenshire HER - NO19SE0009 - OLD BRIG O'DEE

Print site NO19SE0009 Feedback on site NO19SE0009

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO19SE0009
NameOLD BRIG O'DEE
NRHE Card No.NO19SE8
NRHE Numlink 29752
HES SM No. 90171
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Former road bridge, built in 1752-53, designed by Major W. Caulfield, now in pedestrian use only. The bridge was originally built to carry the military road linking Blairgowrie with Corgarff and Inverness over the River Dee, but was superseded in 1859 when Invercauld Bridge was built (NO19SE0004). The bridge is a remarkable 6-arch humped back rubble-built bridge with segmental arches increasing in size to the centre, varying from 10ft to 68ft in span (3m to 21m). Granite rubble masonry wing walls, buttresses and spandrels. The irregular span dimensions were dictated by the need to obtain suitable pier foundations. The massive V-shaped cutwaters have sloping flagged tops. Also known as Old Invercauld Bridge and Invvercauld Military Road Bridge. In December 2007, a watching brief was carried out over the excavation of a new drain near the bridge's South end by Kirkdale Archaeology. The excavation revealed two deposits of mortar and boulders at the E and W sides of the road aligned E and W walls of the bridge. These may be crude banks built to keep the sandy/gravelly road deposits from washing away. A modern plastic drain was also recorded in the W end of the trench.
Last Update06/09/2017
Updated Bynackerman
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 318658.76603627, Northing: 790980.787356497

Google Map for NO19SE0009

National Grid Reference: NO 1865 9098



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
2007 Watching-Brief

Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
BOULDERS  G100
BUTTRESSESGRANITE D100
WALLSWING E100
BRIDGESROADSIX-SPANA100
ARCHESSEGMENTAL B100
CUTWATERSTRIANGULAR C100
MORTARS  F100