Aberdeenshire HER - NO29SE0008 - CRATHIE GIRDER BRIDGE

Print site NO29SE0008 Feedback on site NO29SE0008

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO29SE0008
NameCRATHIE GIRDER BRIDGE
NRHE Card No.NO29SE10
NRHE Numlink 31156
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 2989
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 1
Details Plate girder bridge, built in 1856, commissioned and paid for by Prince Albert, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The bridge replaced the nearby Crathie suspension bridge (NO29SE0007) as the main vehicular access across the River Dee to Balmoral. It is a single span wrought iron plate-girder bridge, slightly cambered, with regularly pierced iron plate parapets and distinctive visible riveting. It has coursed rock-face granite abutments with capped square granite piers and curved granite approach walls at either end. The span of the two riveted girders is 129ft (39.3m). Possibly the earliest plate-girder bridge in Scotland. Manufactured by R. Brotherhood, ironfounder, Chippenham. The bridge was built under an Act of Parliament. Also known as Balmoral Bridge. The bridge has undergone several phases of alteration and repair. A Conservation Plan was drawn up in 2012.
Last Update20/07/2017
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 326209.6243885, Northing: 794922.497661321

Google Map for NO29SE0008

National Grid Reference: NO 2620 9492



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
1980 Survey
2013 Building Recording

Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
ABUTMENTSGRANITE D100
PIERSGRANITECAPPEDE100
WALLSGRANITECURVEDF100
RIVETS  G100
PARAPETSIRONPLATEH100
BRIDGESROAD A100
BRIDGESWROUGHT-IRON B100
GIRDERSWROUGHT-IRONPLATEC100