Aberdeenshire HER - NO68NE0001 - BRIDGE OF DYE

Print site NO68NE0001 Feedback on site NO68NE0001

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO68NE0001
NameBRIDGE OF DYE
NRHE Card No.NO68NE7
NRHE Numlink 36146
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 13878
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 1
Details Road bridge, now bypassed and in use as a foot bridge, built in 1680. It is a small single ribbed semi-circular arch hump bridge constructed from rough granite ashlar. There is 3.35 metres between the parapets, with triangular refuges at the south approach. It is one of the earliest bridges in Grampian, with tolls being levied for its upkeep under an act of 1681. It was an important improvement on the line of the Cairn o' Mount section of the old military road between Edinburgh and Fochabers. It has now been bypassed by a new bridge alongside carrying the B974 road.
Last Update03/03/2020
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation12/07/1978

Easting: 365099.68187282, Northing: 786072.780882321

Google Map for NO68NE0001

National Grid Reference: NO 6509 8607



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
BRIDGESROADHUMP-BACKEDA100
ARCHESSEMI-CIRCULAR B100
REFUGESTRIANGULAR C100
PARAPETS  D100