Aberdeenshire HER - NO99NW0004 - CAIRNWELL

Print site NO99NW0004 Feedback on site NO99NW0004

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO99NW0004
NameCAIRNWELL
NRHE Card No.NO99NW4
NRHE Numlink 37212
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Relocated and reconstructed stone circle enclosing a ring cairn. The original site (NO90719734) is an inconspicuous position in a hollow. The inner circular stone setting suggested that this was a Clava-type ring-cairn. When excavated in 1858, there were 15 stones, but only 3 remained prior to re-excavation in 1994. The slabs of the inner stone-setting were on their long sides. Some of the stones had been displaced by the 19th Century, but originally the setting was carefully constructed and an accurate circle. A. Thomson, in 1865, stated that the kerb, which could only be traced intermittently, 'Consists of a tolerable close wall of small stones, nearly touching each other, set on edge'. Fragments of an urn found in the cairn during the 19th Century excavations have since been lost. Complete excavation of the cairn was carried out by AOC in 1994 prior to its reconstruction nearby. After excavation, the structure was reconstructed 175 m to the northwest (at NO 9063 9750). The ring cairn was found to have 3 main structural elements: the ring cairn, composed of an outer and inner kerb with rubble between; a stone circle, enclosing the ring cairn, which had 3 stones in situ and excavation revealed a fallen stone and 3 possible stone sockets; and a later deposit of rubble with an outer revetment. Beneath the ring cairn, an earlier timber enclosure was found. Within the site, five possible cremation pits were located. The site originally comprised an arc of pits, in use by the Middle Neolithic period, surrounding a stone circle which may have been of similar date. After a long hiatus, a pyre was burnt within the stone circle. A timber enclosure, with an entrance to the south, was then erected within the stone circle and five urn cremations interred in pits in the centre of the enclosure. Later the timber enclosure was replaced by a stone ring-cairn which respected the interior area delimited by the timber enclosure. This ring-cairn was subsequently expanded to incorporate the stone circle.
Last Update30/04/2020
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation16/10/1992

Easting: 390677.527, Northing: 797419.9295

Google Map for NO99NW0004

National Grid Reference: NO 9067 9741



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
1995 Excavation
1963 Excavation
1858 Excavation

Excavations and Surveys

Date MDate YTypeDurationDirector / OrganisationAuspicesFundExtent
 1858  ALEX. THOMSON   
 1995  J BARBER & T REESAOCG&JI100

Artefact and Ecofact

Date MDate YArtefact TypeFinderRecovery MethodConditionStorage LocationAccess No.
 1863 URN FRAGMENTS AT Excavation Unknown  
 1995 FLINT FLAKES Excavation  
 1995 WORKED QUARTZ Excavation  
 1995 NEOLITHIC POTTERY Excavation  
 1995 BRONZE AGE POTTERY Excavation  

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
STONE-CIRCLES REMAINS OFA100
CAIRNSRING B100
CAIRNS CLAVAC85
STONESKERBREMAINS OFD100
URNS  E100
FLAKESFLINT F100
FLAKESQUARTZWORKEDG100
POTTERY  H90
POTTERY  I100