Details |
Site of a medieval barony, houses and village buried in sand during a storm in 1694/5. No map or plan is known to exist which shows the farms and buildings of the estate before it was overrun by sand. Remains of Culbin House were seen in the early 1930s. The first known owners of the land were the de Moravia family, Richard Moray who lived about 1240. The Morays held the land until the early part of the 15th century, when it passed by marriage to the Kinnaird family. Alexander Kinnaird was the last of this line, and it was in his time, late 1694 or early 1695, that the final devastation of the estate took place, though the encroachment of the sand must have been a gradual process. The Culbin area was once considered the 'Granary of Moray'. Reports of invasions of blown sand occur from circa 1100 but the Barony was not overwhelmed until the period 1670-1695.
|