Moray HER - NJ04NW0020 - EDINKILLIE PARISH CHURCH

Print site NJ04NW0020 Feedback on site NJ04NW0020

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ04NW0020
NameEDINKILLIE PARISH CHURCH
NRHE Card No.NJ04NW19
NRHE Numlink 15751
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 2187
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 1
Details Church, still in ecclesiastical use, built in 1741 and improved in 1813, which sits on the footprint of a medieval church first mentioned in 1287. It is a plain, oblong kirk, harled and cream-washed with ashlar corner strips and window surrounds. The roof is slated with small vents on the ridgeline. It has six square-headed windows on the S elevation and round arched window on the W and E elevations, a simple stone finial on the E apex and a small, ashlar built bellcote on the W gable. The bell is hung from a curved metal beam and rung via an external pull. The N elevation has a number of additional projecting bays, which appear to be of different dates. There are later single keystoned oculus in the outer bays. There are round-headed keystoned gallery windows with block imposts at each gable, and a mural memorial plaque at the base of the W gable. The interior is simple, almost severe, typical of many 18th and 19th century parish churches, with the traditional post-Reformation arrangement of the pulpit in the centre of the S wall and the communion table in front. It is a panelled demi-octagonal pulpit with a similarly shaped sounding board. The backboard is panelled and flanked by fluted pilasters. There are galleries on three sides, the north quite narrow and the central part now occupied by a large wooden-framed pipe organ installed in 1941. A baptismal basin was added in 1886. The pews are of plain pine, and there is simple shallow panelling to the gallery front. There is a simple pine dado to the entrance passage, which accommodates a re-set stone armorial dated possibly to 1666 and is initialled MD, possibly Mark Dunbar, with the Dunbar coat of arms, it also has a worn inscription. The churchyard is enclosed by a drystone wall, the entrance flanked by squat round rubble piers with round stone caps. There is a 19th century six-sided watch house, which is topped with a ball finial and sits against the S wall of the kirkyard. There is a centre door in the N face with flaking windows. The roof is facetted, and made using local slate. There is a rear wallhead stack. Set against the north side of the north wall of the churchyard is a war memorial commemorating members of the parish who were killed in the two world wars and in the Malayan Emergency. A rough hewn stone built structure, containing a recess flanked by columns, the shelf holding a stone basin, and the inner faces of the recess comprising plaques listing the names of those killed. Unveiled in 1921 by Lt Col. The Hon. Robert Bruce. Moved to present location in 1989 from the A940 and Estate Access Road junction due to road widening. Full transcription of memorial held in AAS Digital Archive. Within the churchyard is a graveyard with an entrance flanked by squat round rubble piers with round stone caps. The tombstones date to the 18th and 19th centuries.
Last Update16/08/2017
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 301970.543348165, Northing: 846576.40640463

Google Map for NJ04NW0020

National Grid Reference: NJ 0197 4657



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CHURCHESPARISH A100
MEMORIALSWORLD WAR I B100
MEMORIALSWORLD WAR II C100
WATCH-HOUSES  D100
MEMORIALSWAR E100
BELLCOTESASHLAR F100
PULPITSDEMI-OCTAGONAL G100
ARMORIALSSTONE H100