Moray HER - NJ16SE0020 - NEWTON HOUSE

Print site NJ16SE0020 Feedback on site NJ16SE0020

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ16SE0020
NameNEWTON HOUSE
NRHE Card No.NJ16SE27
NRHE Numlink 75406
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 2327
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of Newton House, built in 1793 with additions and alterations in 1852, but reduced to a shell by fire damage in 1992. It is also the site of a manor named 'Newton of Ardgy'. It is a tall 2-storey and attic house over a raised basement. There is a projecting wing set back at the E, with a raised ground floor canted oriel that has a corbelled base decorated with masks and with a corbelled stone roof. 2 rear wings project to forma 3-storey U-plan service court. It is harled, with tooled and polished ashlar margins and dressings. There are 5 bays in the S facing, with an advanced and gabled centre bay that has an 1852 porch approached by a flight of steps oversailing a raised basement. The initial house is plain, but there are embellishments from the 1852 work, particularly to the upper storey. It has a pilastered and corniced entrance, with florid Jacobean detailing. There are lunette and banded obelisk finials, with a tall canted 1st floor window above with plain chamfered margins to the ground and 1st floor windows. It is mainly 4-pane glazing used throughout. There are corbelled angle bartizans with conical bellcast fishscale slated roofs, of which only one now survives, decorative water spouts and end batteries of coped stacks with diamond flues and crowstepped gabled. The dormers from 1852 have carved and monogrammed pediments. A sun porch from circa 1975 is at the W of the house. The interior had been remodelled by Mackenzie in 1852. The entrance hall has an arcaded and columned screen, rounded-headed niches and deep mouldings. A curved 1793 cantilevered staircase rises full-height, with plain balusters and moulded risers. The drawing room has an 1852 marble chimneypiece, a ceiling cornice and doorway flanked by glazed wall cupboards, linking it to the back sitting room. The dining room has a black marble chimneypiece, a simple panelled dado and a moulded ceiling cornice. There is some evidence of remodelling of the former 1st floor drawing-room area, but 18th century fielded panelled doors also survive in the 1st floor. At the main entrance, there is a pair of plain square ashlar gatepiers, with a pulvinated string course, a moulded cornice, and ball finials. The walled garden dates to circa 1800 and extends to the N of house, and is constructed with coped rubble walls. Newton House built by George Forteath in 1793, it passed to his nephew Alexander Williamson (who took the name of Forteath) in 1815. Alexander Forteath was factor for the Trustees of the Earl of Fife's estates and took an active role in the public life of Moray. The property remained in the Forteath family until the 1930s.
Last Update17/08/2017
Updated Bycherbert
CompilerNQB
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 316345.709700041, Northing: 863375.145706383

Google Map for NJ16SE0020

National Grid Reference: NJ 1634 6337



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
MANORS SITE OFA100
MANSIONS REMAINS OFB100
BASEMENTSRAISED C100
STAIRCASESOVERSAILING D100
DETAILS JACOBEANE100
FINIALSOBELISK F100
PEDIMENTS CARVEDG100
PEDIMENTS MONOGRAMMEDH100
DORMERS DATEDI100
BARTIZANS CORBELLEDJ100
ROOFS CONICALK100
WATERSPOUTS DECORATIVEL100
WINGS PROJECTINGM100
ORIELS CANTEDN100
GABLES CROW-STEPPEDO100
STACKS COPEDP100
FLUESDIAMOND Q100
SCREENS ARCADEDR100
NICHES ROUND-HEADEDS100
STAIRCASES CANTILEVEREDT100
CHIMNEYPIECESMARBLEBLACKU100
GATEPIERSSQUARE V100
FINIALSBALL W100
GARDENSWALLED X100
SCREENS COLUMNEDZ100
ROOFSSTONECORBELLEDY100
PORCHES  AA100
ENTRANCES PILASTEREDAB100
ENTRANCES CORNICEDAC100
ROOFSSLATEFISHSCALEDAD100
12