Moray HER - NJ26SW0012 - MAISON DIEU

Print site NJ26SW0012 Feedback on site NJ26SW0012

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ26SW0012
NameMAISON DIEU
NRHE Card No.NJ26SW12
NRHE Numlink 16615
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Documentary Record Only
Site Condition Destroyed
Details Site of the Maison Dieu preceptory, hospital, chapel and graveyard, built in the 13th Century. It was one of buildings in the burgh burnt by Alexander, 'Wolf of Badenoch', in 1390, after which it was re-built. The complex appears to have continued in use through to the 15th Century, however it was described in 1445 as having been 'long void'. In 1520, James, Bishop of Moray, granted the house and its revenues to the Blackfriars of Elgin. House may have been maintained during the 16th century as a poorhouse. The preceptory is recorded as having been granted to a Robert Douglas in 1567, while in 1594-5 James VI granted hospital to the provost and council of Elgin. The chapel reportedly stood to the South of Easton House, and had a large Gothic window, but the walls were said to have been blown down by a hurricane in 1773. Small scale excavations were carried out over the site in 1914-1918, but nothing was found. Parts of skeletons were found during building operations in the late 1950s - early 1960s. The area is now covered by a housing development.
Last Update11/05/2020
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 322320, Northing: 862620

Google Map for NJ26SW0012

National Grid Reference: NJ 2232 6262



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
1918 Excavation

Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
PRECEPTORIES SITE OFA100
CHAPELS SITE OFB100
GRAVEYARDS SITE OFC100
BONESHUMAN D100
HOSPITALS SITE OFE100