Moray HER - NJ35NW0012 - FOCHABERS BRIDGE

Print site NJ35NW0012 Feedback on site NJ35NW0012

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ35NW0012
NameFOCHABERS BRIDGE
NRHE Card No.NJ35NW24
NRHE Numlink 16899
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 15645
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Iron bridge crossing the River Spey, which forms the boundary between Bellie and Speymouth parishes. It was built between 1801 and 1804 by George Burn as a 4-span ashlar masonry bridge. The 1829 flood demolished two West arches, which were replaced by a wooden span designed by Archibald Simpson in 1831-2, and subsequently reconstructed in cast-iron by James Hoby and Co. in 1853. It is now a 3-span bridge with two masonry arches and a 3-rib cast-iron arch, all segmental. The masonry spans have dressed stone arch rings, rubble spandrels with blind occuli and bracketed iron footpaths. The deck has been widened and there is a modern metal balustrade, and the bridge is now by passed. It is also known as the Old Spay Bridge. There is a tollhouse (NJ35NW0016) at the North-West end of the bridge.
Last Update26/01/2021
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 334024.115585652, Northing: 859432.837947194

Google Map for NJ35NW0012

National Grid Reference: NJ 3402 5943



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
BRIDGESROAD A100
BRIDGESCAST-IRON B100
ARCHESSEGMENTAL C100
ARCHESMASONRY D100
ARCHESCAST-IRON E100
SPANDRELSRUBBLE F100
FOOTPATHSIRONBRACKETEDG100
OCCULII BLINDJ100
BALUSTERSMETAL K100
ARCHESWOODENSITE OFH100
ARCH-RINGSSTONEDRESSEDI100