Aberdeenshire SMR - NO29SE0007 - CRATHIE SUSPENSION BRIDGE

Print site NO29SE0007 Feedback on site NO29SE0007

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO29SE0007
NameCRATHIE SUSPENSION BRIDGE
NRHE Card No.NO29SE8
NRHE Numlink 31163
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 2988
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Suspension bridge, built in 1834, at the expense of Queen Victoria, designed by J. Justice Jnr and Co., Dundee. It is an early example of a flat-link, chain-suspension bridge, with diagonal rod bracing, and a wooden deck. The pylons are braced wrought-iron structures. Designed as the main entrance to Balmoral for vehicular traffic, but superseded as a vehicle bridge in 1857 when Prince Albert commissioned the sturdier Crathie Girder Bridge (NO29SE0008). The bridge was partly renewed in 1884, and is now solely in pedestrian use, with iron kissing gates at each end. It is the earliest example of a chain suspension bridge in Upper Deeside, and the most sophisticated and biggest of three bridges known to be by J. Justice Jnr. and Co, pioneers of suspension bridge construction in Eastern Scotland. Also known as Easter Balmoral bridge. The bridge was damaged by flooding in December 2015.
Last Update09/05/2017
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 326599.135643924, Northing: 794253.823217871

Google Map for NO29SE0007

National Grid Reference: NO 2659 9425



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
KISSING-GATESIRON E100
BRIDGESCHAINSUSPENSIONA100
PYLONSWROUGHT-IRON B100
RODSBRACINGDIAGONALC100
DECKSWOODEN D100