Moray HER - NJ13NE0017 - BRIDGE OF AVON

Print site NJ13NE0017 Feedback on site NJ13NE0017

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ13NE0017
NameBRIDGE OF AVON
NRHE Card No.NJ13NE21
NRHE Numlink 16001
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 8462
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 1
Details A high single span bridge with an additional small arch at the North bank. It crosses the River Avon and leads into the grounds of Ballindalloch Castle (NJ13NE0004), and was designed by architect George Burn and opened in 1800. It is of rubble construction, with tooled rubble arch rings springing from a tooled ashlar abutment at the South bank, and a similar pier with rounded cutwaters close to the North bank. There is a tooled rubble parapet and drainage vents. It was replaced by a new road bridge in 1991. It is now braced by iron ties and used only as a footbridge. On the Southern end of the bridge are two plaques, the lower marking the highest point reached by flood waters in 1829, where the river rose by 23 feet, and the upper plaque commemorating General Grant of Ballindalloch who commissioned the bridge. The upper plaque is inscribed 'Built by General Grant of Ballandalloch 1800. G. Burn Arct.', and the lower plaque is inscribed 'Flood line 4 August, 1829'. George Burn was also the contractor for Spey Bridge, Fochabers (1803) and Lovat Bridge, Beauly (1813), both designed by Thomas Telford.
Last Update16/08/2017
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 318324.781673021, Northing: 835884.313019687

Google Map for NJ13NE0017

National Grid Reference: NJ 1832 3588



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
BRIDGES SINGLE-SPANA100
ARCH-RINGSRUBBLETOOLEDB100
ABUTMENTSASHLARTOOLEDC100
CUTWATERS ROUNDEDD100
PARAPETSRUBBLETOOLEDE100
VENTSDRAINAGE F100
TIESIRON G100
PLAQUES COMMEMORATIVEH100