Moray HER - NJ16NE0002 - ST PETER'S KIRK, DUFFUS

Print site NJ16NE0002 Feedback on site NJ16NE0002

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ16NE0002
NameST PETER'S KIRK, DUFFUS
NRHE Card No.NJ16NE2
NRHE Numlink 16123
HES SM No. 90106
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of an 18th century rectangular parish church, built on the site of an earlier church, and associated burial ground. There has been a church on this site since at least the early 13th century. It is known that it was burnt by King Edward I of England in 1298. It is built of coursed sandstone rubble, with ashlar quoins and dressings. Most of the remains date to the 18th century, probably 1739, when it was remodelled and re-cast for Presbyterian worship. However, there are some surviving sections of the medieval structure. All that survives of the medieval church are the 14th century barrel vaulted basement of the W tower, which served as a burial crypt for the Sutherlands of Duffus, and the porch on the S side built in 1524 by Alexander Sutherland, rector of Duffus. The rest of church was replaced by an 18th century structure, which is now roofless. The W gable has a small, rectangular window at the gallery level and a birdcage-style bellcote, probably from 1739, with stumpy pinnacles, and a small finial sits on the apex. The S elevation of the nave has four long rectangular square-headed windows in each bay and the W gable, and a small doorway towards the E end. The E gable of the church is fairly plain, with a central rectangular doorway, alongside which is an external stair which provides access to a rectangular gallery doorway. The N elevation has a centre rear forestair, leading to a small gallery doorway that opens into a former gallery. There is a second forestair at the E gable, leading to the former Laird's Loft. The entrance to the church is within a porch, and is closed by nail studded double leaf plank door, with a hand wrought handle with the date of 1739. The porch itself has a pointed-headed entrance with simple nook shafts, stylised quatrefoil detailing decorates the moulding above the imposts, and there is a stylised ball-flower ornamentation on the upper edge. Internally, socket holes in the walls show that there were galleries around the E, W and N walls. There is a ribbed vaulted interior with centre boss. There are various mural tablets set in the church walls, both within and without. There are also re-used fragments of carved stonework. The churchyard contains numerous 17th, 18th and 19th century gravestones and monuments within a walled graveyard, as well as the 18th century burial enclosure of the Dunbar family. In the E side of the graveyard is a small gabled watch house, which has a round panel dated to 1830. It is constructed from harl pointed rubble, with tooled and polished ashlar dressings. The entrance is in the S gable, with a dated and inscribed roundel above the lintel. There is a squat apex finial and end stack at the N. The church has been out of use since 1869, when a new parish church superseded it. An assessment was undertaken by Kirkdale Archaeology in February 2013 of seven slumped grave markers in the churchyard. Nothing of archaeological significance was noted in the original cuts for the gravemarkers, other than a few fragments of dressed sandstone presumed to have been used for levelling the markers when they were installed. There is a 14th century parish cross within the Church grounds (NJ16NE0003).
Last Update07/01/2019
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 317514.166448256, Northing: 868668.883074744

Google Map for NJ16NE0002

National Grid Reference: NJ 1751 6866



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
2013 Field Observation kirkdale1-311447

Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CHAPELS REMAINS OFA100
PORCHES  B100
BASEMENTS BARREL-VAULTEDC100
STONESARMORIAL D100
WATCH-HOUSES  F100
GRAVEYARDS  G100
CHURCHES SITE OFE100
CHURCHYARDS  H100
BELLCOTESBIRD-CAGE J100
PORCHES  K100
FORESTAIRS  L100
MONUMENTS  M100
FINIALSSQUATAPEXN100
CHURCHESPARISHREMAINS OFI100