Moray SMR - NJ45SE0002 - MUIRYFOLD, GRANGE

Print site NJ45SE0002 Feedback on site NJ45SE0002

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ45SE0002
NameMUIRYFOLD, GRANGE
NRHE Card No.NJ45SE2
NRHE Numlink 17346
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Crop Mark (Includes Soil Mark)
Site Condition AP visible Only
Details Remains of a Roman camp of the 120 acre class (Severan). The camp at Muiryfold was first recorded from the air in 1959, lying to the east of Keith, north of the River Isla close to the Pass of Grange, and about 2.5 km east of Auchinhove. It is situated on land that slopes gently from Gallow Hill to the north west to the Burn of Braco to the south east, a tributary of the River Isla. It lies in a series of improved pasture and arable fields surrounding the farm of Muiryfold, and no trace is visible on the ground. It is not quite rectangular in form, measuring about 784m from north west to south east by 522m transversely and encloses just over 41ha. Entrance gaps protected by tituli are visible in the centre of the south east side and at two points in the south west side, suggesting that the camps had six gates. St Joseph excavated two small trenches in 1959, in the north west and south east sides, and he recorded that the ditch measured up to 3.3m in width and 1.3m in depth. A trapezoidal dressed stone, 400mm x 300mm x 130mm thick with flat bottomed hole 170mm diameter and 30mm deep cut in one face has been found on the site. It was ploughed up by the farmer and reported to Ian Keillar.
Last Update04/10/2018
Updated Bynackerman
CompilerJKSJ
Date of Compilation29/10/1987

Easting: 348827.678239109, Northing: 852094.911771697

Google Map for NJ45SE0002

National Grid Reference: NJ 4882 5209



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CAMPS SEVERANA100
CROPMARKS AP VISIBLEB100
CAMPS ROMANC100