Aberdeenshire SMR - NJ60NE0003 - MIDMAR CHURCH STONE CIRCLE

Print site NJ60NE0003 Feedback on site NJ60NE0003

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ60NE0003
NameMIDMAR CHURCH STONE CIRCLE
NRHE Card No.NJ60NE3
NRHE Numlink 18001
HES SM No. 32
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Recumbent stone circle, 17.3m in diameter. Also known as Christchurch. It consists of a recumbent, two flankers and five other erect stones. This re-arranged circle now stands in a churchyard (NJ60NE0020). The two flankers, each c.2.5m high, have been matched and shaped into two enormous canine teeth, and flank a massive recumbent which weighs some 20 tons. There is now no trace of an internal ring-cairn as the entire central area is now level grassed area. The present church was built in 1787 when the old church near Midmar was pulled down. The old graveyard continued in use until 1914 when the new one was laid out around the stone circle; the cairn may have been removed at this time. It was stated that the 'circle was not touched' but from a plan drawn by Coles in 1900 it would appear that at least one stone, at the NNW, has been re-erected since his visit.
Last Update16/11/2017
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation01/05/1984

Easting: 369942.010301723, Northing: 806493.960503829

Google Map for NJ60NE0003

National Grid Reference: NJ 6994 0649



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types