Details |
Library, now also in use as a museum, built by C W Cosser, architect, Banff, dated 1902 but completed in 1903. It is a tall, austere, two-storey, five-bay symmetrically fronted building, constructed from dark whinstone rubble with contrasting tooled ashlar sandstone dressings and margins. The corniced doorpiece is slightly advanced, with a keystoned round-headed entrance, plaque and datestone. The windows are square-headed, with simple aprons linked between the ground and first floors by a deep corniced bandcourse returning across the north gable. A deep, shallow wallhead cornice carrying decorative cast-iron brackets supporting moulded cast-iron rhone projects as a cornice. Original downpipes with embossed floral design to rainwater-heads remain. There is a long rear stair window, rear wallhead corniced stack and a shallow piended slate roof.
|