Aberdeenshire HER - NJ71NE0113 - TOWN HOUSE, KINTORE

Print site NJ71NE0113 Feedback on site NJ71NE0113

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ71NE0113
NameTOWN HOUSE, KINTORE
NRHE Card No. 
NRHE Numlink 18645
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 36312
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Town House, dating from the 18th Century. Stone built, with curving outside stair and clock tower with ogee roof. Paid for by John Keith, the 3rd Earl of Kintore, when he was elected Provost of the town. It was built on what had previously been the market place. As well as having a council room, the building also originally held a schoolroom, a store for the agricultural produce of tenants who paid their rent in kind, and the space under the stairs formed the burgh jail. In the square in front of the town house is a drinking fountain.
Last Update05/08/2019
Updated By 
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 379233.551895401, Northing: 816317.24335517

Google Map for NJ71NE0113

National Grid Reference: NJ 7923 1631



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
FOUNTAINSDRINKING B100
TOWNHOUSES  A100