Aberdeen City HER - NJ80NE0011 - NEWHILLS OLD PARISH CHURCH

Print site NJ80NE0011 Feedback on site NJ80NE0011

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ80NE0011
NameNEWHILLS OLD PARISH CHURCH
NRHE Card No.NJ80NE12
NRHE Numlink 19308
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 15653
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of the old parish church, built in the 17th century, designed by George Davidson of Pettens, a burgess of Aberdeen, who towards the end of his life mortified his estates of Newhills (700 acres) to support a church and minister. Originally a chapel of ease, building began in 1662 and was completed in 1663. It held fewer than 100 parishioners but as the population grew, the church was extended to an L shape on the east. Upper galleries were also added and could be entered by a staircase located on the outside of the church. In 1663, there was a memorial to Davidson in the church and which was listed as repaired by the minister in 1680. In addition, there was a memorial pew dedicated to Davidson that was left in the church. In 1666 it became the parish church of the newly established parish of Newhills, created out of Old Machar Parish. The Town Council and bailies of Aberdeen presented ministers for serving the church with the revenue to help with the maintenance of the church. It continued in use until a new church was built in 1830 (NJ80NE0089), when the old church was partially dismantled. It is shown as in ruins on the OS 1st edition map. The church was long, narrow and rectangular in plan, measuring 20m by 7.5m. The west gable survives to full height; it has a central doorway with large rectangular window above. On the apex is the base for a bellcote. A portion of the north wall has been entirely removed. The south elevation remains to the wallhead. On the inside is a plaque with an inscription giving an historical account of the church. Bell of 1778. The old churchyard is a rubble-built enclosure with a watch house at the gate built of pinned boulder rubble. A few 19th century stones remain. The graveyard has since been extended to east and south - see also NJ80NE0109.
Last Update06/11/2018
Updated Bycpalmer
CompilerACU
Date of Compilation13/09/2017

Easting: 387166.981634725, Northing: 809477.077764259

Google Map for NJ80NE0011

National Grid Reference: NJ 8716 0947



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CHURCHESPARISHREMAINS OFA100
CHAPELS REMAINS OFB100
GALLERIES  C100
MEMORIALS  D100
PEWSMEMORIALSITE OFE100
BELLCOTES REMAINS OFF100
PLAQUES  H100
CHURCHYARDS  I100
GRAVEYARDS  J100
WATCH-HOUSES  G100
GATES  K100
GRAVESTONES  L100
BELLS  M100