Details |
Remains of a railway station. The Deeside extension railway opened in 1853, with stations at Cults, Murtle and Culter. It was not until 1854 that Milltimber station opened. On the OS 1st edition Milltimber Station is shown to the west of that depicted on the 2nd edition, which also shows a footbridge, Post Office, signal box, weighing machine and signal posts. This station at Milltimber followed the standard style of many stations introduced at that time, only this one was relatively small in scale and the facilities basic. The station was constructed of wood with a hipped roof, on the opposite platform was a simple waiting shelter and a wooden footbridge linked the two platforms. Lower Deeside had to wait for a local residential service while the double track from Aberdeen was built as far as Culter in 1892. The Deeside line was immediately popular, taking twenty minutes to go the 7 3/8 miles. The original service of 8 trains doubled in 1900. In 1928 the suburban railway began to operate Sunday services to Culter, with nine trains in the summer and eight in the winter. The Culter service was then increased to half hourly services for the following two years. The Sunday service finally ceased running in 1936. The development of road traffic saw a decline in suburban service in the 1930's. On the 28th January 1937 it was announced that after April 1937 the suburban railway service was to end. Fourteen stations, including Milltimber, closed as a result of rivalry from bus services and the waning popularity of the train service. The station buildings have been removed Topographic survey of the railway line west of the station was carried out by Headland Archaeology in 2012 ahead of the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route. This identified formation levels for a double track railway and possible sidings.
|