Aberdeen City HER - NJ81NE0009 - ST FERGUS'S CHURCH

Print site NJ81NE0009 Feedback on site NJ81NE0009

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ81NE0009
NameST FERGUS'S CHURCH
NRHE Card No.NJ81NE13
NRHE Numlink 19447
HES SM No. 8843
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of a church, formerly Chapel of St Fergus. The early history of the church of St. Fergus is unfortunately not known. The earliest reference which, by implication shows that the church was in existence, dates to 1316. There is unfortunately no evidence that St Fergus founded a church here and the earliest references to the church never mentioned St. Fergus, the first reference to the chapel being called St Fergus dating to 1655. The earliest church here is normally said to have been located near Kirktoun of Dyce and what was known as Moss Fetach (First Statistical Account). It is supposed then that at some point after this the church was moved up to this its present site. Parts of the building probably date from the pre reformation period. An inventory of goods held in the church completed on 15 November 1730 lists a church bible, a silver cup, two pewter cups, a large pewter plate, a basin, a linen cloth, a cloth for the communion table, a pulpit cloth, a sand glass, a box for the poor money and two mortcloths (one for adults and one for children). In 1780 the heather roof was removed and replaced by the roof shown in Logan's drawing of c.1811 (logan's Collections, p. 69). The watchers house, at the rear of the churchyard, was erected in 1830. The chapel's end came towards the end of the 19th century. When Dyce Free Church (NJ81SE0099) was erected in 1870 and Dyce village developed around the railway station the church here was left too distant for the new population and it was abandoned in 1872 and dismantled in 1892. A watching brief was carried out by Aberdeen City Council Archaeological Unit in May 2002 during excavation of trenches for a structure to house the Pictish symbol stones (see NJ81NE0005). Disarticulated human bone (associated with 19th century and demolition material) was found in all trenches,
Last Update23/03/2020
Updated Bycpalmer
CompilerACU
Date of Compilation13/09/2017

Easting: 387522.920210679, Northing: 815408.340007882

Google Map for NJ81NE0009

National Grid Reference: NJ 8752 1540



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
2002 Watching-Brief

Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CHURCHES REMAINS OFA100
CHAPELS SITE OFB100
WATCH-HOUSES  C100