Details |
House dating from the 17th century, one of the oldest in Aberdeen. It is erroneously known as the Chapter House of the Dean (and known as Cruickshanks lodgings). George Cruikshank of Berriehill, Dean of the Guild, built this house in the mid-17th century to use when he was fishing on the Don. He used stones from his own house, Clatt Manse, to build the L-plan, two-storey house. It is made of rough granite and the chamfered window surrounds are made of sandstone. Leading into a garden there is an arched moulded sandstone doorway with the coat of arms and shield of George Cruickshank; it also has the initials of George and his first wife, Barbara Hervie [B GC H] and dated 1655. This date may indicate the date of their marriage or the completion of the house. There are carved skewputts at the eaves that bear the date 1653, which could indicate the date George began building the house, as well as the same initials as above. Aberdeen City Council restored it in 1973 and today it remains a private house.
|