Details |
Theatre, designed by Frank Matcham, built in 1904-5 and opened December 1906. Modifications were carried out in 1933 by D MacAndrew and Co, and the theatre was completely refurbished in the 1980s by City Architect Ian Ferguson. Built in Free Renaissance style, it is four-storey with a Kemnay granite ashlar front with a columned and 4-stage tower with copper capped dome on the East. The sides and rear are of Tillyfourie granite. The front has a symmetrical 7-bay façade with 2-bay tower, giant order dividing pilasters, portico and semi-circular pediment crowned by a reinforced concrete statue of Tragedy and Comedy. The interior has mixed baroque and neo-Jacobean strapwork decorations with much alabaster and marble. There is a panelled foyer with Ionic columns richly decorated ceiling and bronze bust of Frank Matcham. The large auditorium provides seating for 2,550 with three cantilevered galleries, dress circle, and raked stalls area with decorative ceramic tiles around the stalls area for enhanced acoustics. There is a frieze over the proscenium arch by WH Buchan depicting 'Goddess of Drama'.
|