Details |
Parish Church, dedicated to St Mary. The present church was built in 1777 and partly re-constructed in 1829, with further renovations in 1876, and addition of an apse on the south front 1884. It is built on the site of a much earlier church, dating to the 13th century, pulled down in 1777 to make way for the present church. Nothing now survives of the earlier church except part of the foundation of the south wall of the chancel, which supports the monument of the Annands of Auchterellon (NJ93SE0049). The present church is a rectangular building, of rubble granite with tooled, dressed window surrounds and quoins, and a slate roof. There is a medieval cross-inscribed stone, of reddish granite, built into the right-hand side of the north-east window, just above the window sill (NJ93SE0006). Internally the church originally had a horse-shoe gallery on three sides. The interior was extensively refurbished and altered in 2009 when the floor was renewed and the pews removed. A new sanctuary has been built at the east end. The west gallery has been retained and re-painted and is accessed by an internal stair. The churchyard (NJ93SE0033) is a rubble walled enclosure with stones from 1713.
|