Aberdeenshire HER - NJ96NE0036 - THE WARLD'S END, 11 DALRYMPLE STREET, FRASERBURGH

Print site NJ96NE0036 Feedback on site NJ96NE0036

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ96NE0036
NameTHE WARLD'S END, 11 DALRYMPLE STREET, FRASERBURGH
NRHE Card No.NJ96NE54
NRHE Numlink 173570
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 31880
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Townhouse, dating from the 18th Century. It belonged originally to John Gordon of Glenbuchat (Glenbucket) who was one of the key Jacobite commanders in the '45. Alexander Forbes, 4th Lord Forbes of Pitsligo, may have hidden here after Culloden; the building was seized, along with Gordon's other assets after the '45. Sold to Charles Gordon 1766, at which time it was fashionably re-cast. It is a 2-storey and basement, 3-window house constructed of squared heathen stone with freestone dressings and quoins. The wallhead of the front elevation (west) features a shaped gable, with an arched window and ball finials. There is a stone staircase with cast-iron handrail leading up to a pedimented doorpiece. It has a moulded eaves course and chimney copes. One of the best houses of its date in Aberdeenshire.
Last Update17/06/2020
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 399857.155650529, Northing: 866789.885568291

Google Map for NJ96NE0036

National Grid Reference: NJ 9985 6678



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
TOWNHOUSES  A100
QUOINS  B100
WINDOWS ARCHEDC100
FINIALSBALL D100
DOORPIECES PEDIMENTEDE100
EAVES MOULDEDF100
CHIMNEYS COPEDG100