Aberdeenshire HER - NK14NW0003 - INVERUGIE CASTLE

Print site NK14NW0003 Feedback on site NK14NW0003

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNK14NW0003
NameINVERUGIE CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NK14NW3
NRHE Numlink 21204
HES SM No. 98
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of a castle and tower. Inverugie Castle takes the form of a towerhouse, probably late 16th or early 17th Century, with two towers at its north-east and south-east angles, one of which is known as the Cheyne tower. The buildings which flank the large courtyard appear to be of more recent date than the castle and are possibly associated with the renovation by Ferguson in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. The tower house was blown up in 1899, now only a stump remains. The courtyard, two storeys of the south range of the south court and inner gate are fairly complete but roofless. The outer gate of 1670 has been removed. The range between the north and south courts is very ruined. The east wing of the north court is overgrown. Running south from the outer gateway was a wall with a massive moulded cope ornamented with figures representing a close carriage with four horses and the date 1670 - an early illustration and instance of such a vehicle in Scotland. In front of this are two mounted horsemen galloping at full speed, the Scottish thistle, and a lion close to the gateway.
Last Update10/08/2017
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 410213.5831642, Northing: 848312.235786107

Google Map for NK14NW0003

National Grid Reference: NK 1021 4831



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CASTLES REMAINS OFA100
TOWERSROUNDREMAINS OFB100
COURTYARDS  C100
KITCHENS REMAINS OFD100
STAIRCASESMURAL E100
FORESTAIRS  F100
HALLS REMAINS OFG100
RECESSES ARCHEDH100
GATEWAYS ARCHEDI100
COAT-OF-ARMS SITE OFJ100
COPES MOULDEDK100