Angus HER - NO34NE0003 - OLD PARISH CHURCH, EASSIE

Print site NO34NE0003 Feedback on site NO34NE0003

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO34NE0003
NameOLD PARISH CHURCH, EASSIE
NRHE Card No.NO34NE3
NRHE Numlink 32078
HES SM No. 90125
HES LB No. 4643
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of a church and graveyard. Eassie Church was dedicated to St Brandon in 1246 by Bishop David of St Andrews, and in 1309 was granted to Newbattle Abbey. The church is thought to have been dedicated to the saints, Brandon and Fergus. It was probably partly or wholly rebuilt in the late-16th century. The West doorway in the South wall is 18th century, suggesting further remodelling at that time, but the Eastern doorway is original. It is now a roofless shell, rectangular in plan, measuring 17.2 metres by 4.7 metres (56 feet x 15 feet), with complete gables. The Northern and Southern walls stand to a height of circa 2 metres (6.6 feet) and are circa 0.8 metres (2.6 feet) thick. The graveyard is enclosed in rubble walls that follow the contours of the raised yard, and is in poor condition. The parish of Nevay was united with Eassie in 1660, and services were held alternately with Nevay Church (NO34SW0001) until 1833, when a new church (NO34SW0057) was built on a site convenient to both former parishes. In 1969, a Pictish Class II stone (NO34NE0004) was housed within the south-east angle of the church.
Last Update16/05/2018
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 335246.633068774, Northing: 747445.205867997

Google Map for NO34NE0003

National Grid Reference: NO 3524 4744



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys

Date MDate YTypeDurationDirector / OrganisationAuspicesFundExtent
 1983  RCAHMS   
 1984  RCAHMS   
121969  W D JOS  

Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CHURCHESRECTANGULARREMAINS OFA100
GRAVEYARDSWALLED B100
WALLSRUBBLE C100
CHURCHESPARISH D100