Angus HER - NO45NE0013 - BATTLEDYKES

Print site NO45NE0013 Feedback on site NO45NE0013

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO45NE0013
NameBATTLEDYKES
NRHE Card No.NO45NE13
NRHE Numlink 33668
HES SM No. 2308
HES LB No.
Site Form Documentary Record Only
Site Condition Destroyed
Details Site of a cairn, called the 'King's Palace' by Mr Carnegie (19th century tenant at Battledykes), which was removed in circa 1833. There is confusion in the records about the tumulii within Battledykes, according to the antiquary Jervise, six 'clay urns' were allegedly discovered during the removal of over 600 cartloads of stones from the cairn. However Mr Carnegie was confident that Jervise was in error, and that the urns came from another tumulus nearby (see NO45NE0015). Jamieson (Nichols 1780-90) describes the base of a tumulus, somewhat square in form, and called the 'King's House', as being a little way within the second gate of the Roman camp towards the east (see also NO45NE0022). The OS noted in 1977 that the site of this alleged cairn falls in regularly cultivated land and there is now no trace of it to be seen.
Last Update04/03/2020
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 346080, Northing: 755310

Google Map for NO45NE0013

National Grid Reference: NO 4608 5531



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CAIRNS SITE OFA100
URNS  B80
TUMULII SITE OFC100