Aberdeenshire HER - NO49NE0131 - GLEN TANAR SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE

Print site NO49NE0131 Feedback on site NO49NE0131

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO49NE0131
NameGLEN TANAR SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE
NRHE Card No.NO49NE60
NRHE Numlink 181612
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 47086
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Former school and schoolhouse designed by George Truefitt, a London-based architect who undertook multiple projects across the Glen Tanar Estate, built in the later 19th century (c.1885). The school building is single storey, with 2-bay asymmetrical East (entrance) elevation, asymmetrical North elevation, and near-symmetrical 2-bay South elevation. Its glazing pattern predominantly comprises 15-pane metal windows with 3-pane top hoppers. Constructed in rough-faced granite with cast-iron rainwater goods, the school is topped by rosemary tiled paired pyramidal roofs with terracotta ridges and lead-capped pyramidal ventilators, described as resembling oast house roofs. The 2-storey school house has a near-symmetrical South (principal) elevation with gabled bay advanced to centre, tripartite window off-centre to the left of the ground and 1st floors. Ball finials top each apex. The East elevation is asymmetrical with tripartite window off-centre to the right of the 1st floor gablehead. The 3-bay North elevation is also asymmetrical, with tripartite window to the ground floor of the bay to the left; a gabled bay advanced to the centre with window off-centre to the left of the ground floor and tripartite window to the 1st floor; and blank gabled bay advanced to the outer right. The asymmetrical 2-bay West elevation has a 2 light window to the ground floor of the bay to the left, quadripartite window to the ground floor of the gabled bay to the right, tripartite window set in the gablehead, and a piend-roofed dormer to the attic floor of the bay to left. Constructed in rough-faced pink granite, with rosemary tiled roof with terracotta ridge and cast-iron rainwater goods. There is also a single storey courtyard block extending to the boundary walls to the North of the schoolhouse. It is constructed of squared and snecked pink rough-faced granite, with irregularly placed boarded timber window and door openings, and piended rosemary tiled roof. To the North of the school is a single storey, 4-bay play shed, little altered externally. The school and schoolhouse are enclosed by a boundary wall, constructed of granite rubble with squared and snecked rough-faced granite with rough-faced and pyramidal coping to all sides. The ironwork pedestrian entrance gate in the South wall flanked by square plan coped gatepiers with half-spherical caps. There is a tooled memorial stone at the South West corner inscribed '...VICTORIA QUEEN AND EMPRESS HAS REIGNED FOR 60 YEARS...1837-1897'.
Last Update05/03/2018
Updated Bynackerman
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 347224.381540094, Northing: 798231.758224151

Google Map for NO49NE0131

National Grid Reference: NO 4722 9823



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
SCHOOLS  A100
GATEPIERS  B100
WALLSBOUNDARY C100
ROOFSTILE D100
CAPSSPHERICALHALFE100
COPESPYRAMIDAL F100
VENTILATORS  G100
RIDGESTERRACOTTA H100
SCHOOLHOUSES  I100
GATES  J100