Angus HER - NO55NE0008 - ALDBAR CHAPEL

Print site NO55NE0008 Feedback on site NO55NE0008

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO55NE0008
NameALDBAR CHAPEL
NRHE Card No.NO55NE8
NRHE Numlink 34786
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 4937
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Private chapel and mausoleum, built on the site of an earlier chapel, within a burial ground. A rector of Aldbar is recorded in 1429, and in 1433 the church was granted to the College of Methven. After being ruinous for some time, it was restored in circa 1850 by Mr Chalmers. It was restored keeping the dimensions of the previous chapel, and also re-used the original rubble stones where possible. The building itself is oblong, and oriented roughly East/West, and there is a passageway to the rear (North) of the building. There is a three-bay South elevation, with a round-arched doorway to the West, containing a wooden studded door with decorative iron hinges, and there are thin rectangular windows to the other two bays. There is a rose window within the gable of the East elevation, which is now overgrown and can no longer be seen from the exterior. The West elevation has two windows, containing four lights each. There are two narrow rectangular lights filling most of the window, with two small thin windows filling the top level. Stone mullions and transoms form a cross between the four lights. Above this, within the gable, is a triangular traceried window. There is a heraldic panel at the gable apex. The interior is now completely cleared. The roof timbers are resting on decorated stone corbels mid-way up the walls. The burial ground is enclosed by a low wall to the East, South and West, and there is a steep slope enclosing it to the North. The wall is heavily overgrown. Within the burial ground there are two polished granite gravestones, one of which is a cross on a stepped square base. There are the signs of other gravestones, but they are mostly overgrown. There is an entrance to the East flanked by square gatepiers, and it is approached from the South by a bridge crossing the burn. There is a large pointed archway at the North end of the bridge, flanking the South entrance. The building is in a poor condition, with the large holes in the slate roof and vegetation growing out of the roof and covering parts of the Eastern end of the building. The font from the chapel is now in Aberlemno Parish Church (NO55NW0028), and Pictish stones were recorded as having been here, but are now in Brechin Cathedral (NO56SE0012). The site is also known as Auldbar Chapel.
Last Update20/06/2018
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 357320.943317544, Northing: 758214.064586369

Google Map for NO55NE0008

National Grid Reference: NO 5732 5821



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
1958 Field Observation

Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CHAPELS SITE OFB100
MAUSOLEUMSOBLONG C100
CHAPELSOBLONG A100
BURIAL-GROUNDSWALLED D100
CHAPELSPRIVATE F100
ENTRANCES ROUND-ARCHEDG100
DOORSWOODENSTUDDEDH100
HINGESIRONDECORATIVEI100
WINDOWSRECTANGULAR J100
GRAVEYARDSWALLED E100
MULLIONSSTONE K100
TRANSOMSSTONE L100
WINDOWSTRIANGULARTRACERIEDM100
CORBELSSTONEDECORATEDN100
GRAVESTONESGRANITEPOLISHEDO100
PANELSHERALDICAPEXP100
GATEPIERSSQUARE Q100
BRIDGES  R100
ARCHES POINTEDS100
FONTS SITE OFT100
STONES PICTISHU100
STONES SITE OFV100