Angus SMR - NO55SW0001 - TURIN HILL

Print site NO55SW0001 Feedback on site NO55SW0001

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO55SW0001
NameTURIN HILL
NRHE Card No.NO55SW1
NRHE Numlink 34899
HES SM No. 142
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of a hillfort, also known as Kemp's Castle. An Iron Age complex consisting of two forts and three circular homesteads. The first phase of occupation is represented by an oval fort (NO 514 535) measuring 274m by 122m, within a double earth and stone rampart 4m to 5m broad and 0.2m to 2.5m high, which has possible entrances 4m to 5m wide in the north and east. Feacham raised the possibility that this fort was unfinished. The outer rampart is visible only as a slight swelling in the east and as a 6.0m wide swelling where it joins the cliff on the west, but can be traced for the whole of its course except for a 6.0m break in the west. The inner rampart is easily traceable except on the west where it has been mutilated by the construction of the overlying second phase fort whose west end coincides with that of the earlier fort. This secondary fort (NO 513 534) is a smaller single-walled structure measuring 152.4m by 39.6m internally. The wall is generally 4m broad and 0.5m high and may have been timber-laced. It is barely traceable on the NW and is confused in the SE where the east rampart appears to over- shoot the south. An entrance in the east wall makes use of a natural elevation. The central circular homestead (NO 5133 5348) partly overlies the wall of the secondary fort and is 27.4m in diameter within a stone wall 3.6m thick and 0.9m high which has been partly restored. The eastern circular homestead (NO 5147 5355) lies within the primary fort and consists of two concentric banks of earth and stone; the outer 30.0m in diameter and 0.3m to 1.3m high: and the inner 17.0m in diameter and 0.3m high. The western circular homestead (NO 5120 5344) lies outwith the forts, and is 30m E-W by 26m N-S within a single bank of earth and stones 5m to 6m broad and 1.7m in maximum height. It has been considerably mutilated but mounds and hollows in the interior may be the remains of huts. Feachem (1955) shows two additional banks, the first running from NO 5156 5368 to NO 5166 5362, and the other from NO 5157 5355 to NO 5158 5349. The first is an earthen bank 5m broad and 1m high which is probably later than the forts and does not appear to be of defensive character. The second is visible only as a vague unsurveyable swelling. The name Kemps Castle (apostrophe added by later hand) is a late addition to the ONB (1859) of Rescobie parish but no authority could be found for it in Aberlemno parish. Surveyed by CFA in 1998 the 2.6ha bi-vallate fort is well-defined at eastern end and northern side but more difficult to follow at the western end. At the eastern end a much mutilated bank run upslope from the cliff line and terminates close to the field wall which traverses the site. The gap between the northern end of this bank and the triple rampart may be an original entrance. The triple rampart may have resulted from secondary construction of a short bank along summit of the inner rampart of what is otherwise a bi-vallate enclosure. The precise lines of the inner and outer ramparts at the western ends are unclear. In addition to the main ramparts there are two sets of outworks. The area enclosed by the later oval fort is approximately 0.3ha and is less well-defined than on some earlier plans. The western end is again difficult to follow where it overlies the line of the bi-vallate fort. The best preserved section is on the north side of the stone field wall. The central circular homestead is best-preserved and measures c34m in diameter externally. The walls are up to 3.50-4m thick built of massive blocks 1.5m x1m x 0.5m, revetting a rubble core. The eastern circular homestead has no surface stonework obvious but consists of two sub-circular, turf-covered earth and stone banks. The outer edge of the outer bank is c40m in diameter while the internal diameter is c25m. On the southern side there are curvilinear depressions which may be robber trenches but could also be possible slots for timber palisades. The western circular homestead is least well-preserved of the three with roughly a diameter of35-40m. In the areas between the oval fort and the eastern circular homestead are the remains of two possible circular house platforms c12m in diameter. Three other depressions on the south side of the stone dyke, 9-12m in diameter could also possibly be house platforms. Several cup-marked and cup and ring-marked stones have been found within the fort. A number of quarry scoops lie along the summit of the hill and inside the fort. The main concentration stretches for at least 300m east to west by 150m. Along the gentle northern slopes outside the ramparts of the bi-vallate fort. In general these are c3m in diameter pits. Some half-finished mill-stones are readily apparent.
Last Update20/09/2017
Updated Bynackerman
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 351425.805038211, Northing: 753549.134214564

Google Map for NO55SW0001

National Grid Reference: NO 5142 5354



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys

Date MDate YTypeDurationDirector / OrganisationAuspicesFundExtent
 1956  FT WAINWRIGHT   
31998  Derek AlexanderCFA  

Artefact and Ecofact

Date MDate YArtefact TypeFinderRecovery MethodConditionStorage LocationAccess No.
   STONE LAMP Stray Find Personal Possession  
   MILLSTONES Stray Find Personal Possession  
   QUERN-STONES Stray Find Personal Possession  
   ROTARY QUERN Stray Find Personal Possession  

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
FORTSHILLBI-VALLATEA100
FORTSOVAL B100
FORTSRING C30
STONESCUP & RINGCUP-MARKEDD100
PLATFORMSHOUSE E100
QUARRIESMILL-STONE F100
CAIRNS  G100
DUNS REMAINS OFH30
HOMESTEADSCIRCULARREMAINS OFI95