Details |
Remains of a disused silver and lead ore mine. It was last worked by the South Sea Company in 1728, the quantities proving unremunerative. Traces of these workings still remain but the mouth of the mine is filled with fallen debris and is no longer discernible. Workings including about sixteen surface quarry pits up to 8.0 m in diameter, and 1.5 m deep. Within this group of pits are the footings of a rectangular building 5.4 m x 4.4 m with an entrance at the south-east where burnt stones can be seen, which is probably a smelting floor or bloomery. To the south is a deep natural ravine which has been enlarged by quarrying. Large amounts of stone refuse lie in it. Towards the east end are three small circular structures circa 4.0 m in diameter, circa 1.0 m deep and full of refuse. They are similar in appearance to corn-drying kilns but are more likely to be bloomeries. There is no trace of slag.
|