Details |
Former parish church and hall, no longer in ecclesiastical use, built in the 1860s to replace the much older parish church to the west (NO59NE0001). Church hall added in 1913 and extended circa 1950. The church was designed by James Matthews (1860-2), in the Early English style, and is rectangular in plan. It was originally harled, with granite dressings, however the harl has since been removed exposing the granite rubble construction. The main, south, elevation, has a central window comprising three lancet windows, and on the apex is a tall, gabled, bellcote of granite ashlar, with a bell by John Mowat dated 1744. The side elevations are of 6 bays each, with lancet windows and with stepped buttresses between the windows. The church was re-slated around 1990. At the rear of the church is a single-storey church hall and vestry complex, formerly used as a community/public hall and then as offices, now residential, known as Winterfell, No. 24. It is constructed mainly of stone with some sections of harling to the later extensions either side of the main entrance and to the east gable. The majority of the window and door surrounds, along with the corner stones are edge dressed, with the windows and doors being timber.
|