Angus HER - NO65NW0096 - MANSE, FARNELL

Print site NO65NW0096 Feedback on site NO65NW0096

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO65NW0096
NameMANSE, FARNELL
NRHE Card No.NO65NW95
NRHE Numlink 223776
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 11498
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Former manse and associated steadings, in residential use and now named 'Glebe House'. It was rebuilt in 1794, and is shown on the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps as a shallow L-plan building with additions on the south-west and south-east elevations. There is a garden that is divided into two, and includes a sundial to the south and a rectangular building to the north. Current maps show that the garden has been reduced in size and the rectangular building has been removed. The former manse is a rubble-built two storey building. The projecting porch and a rear addition were both added later than the 1794 rebuild. The sundial is a table dial, inscribed 'Mr. G. W. 1767'. It is set upon a shaft resembling a crocketted finial, which is probably of a later date. To the north-west of the former manse is a pair of classic, V-jointed ashlar gatepiers with moulded caps and ball finials, and low curved screen walls. They were built in circa 1794. Church is to the east (NO65NW0023).
Last Update06/05/2022
Updated Bycpalmer
CompilerLBU
Date of Compilation07/12/2016

Google Map for NO65NW0096

National Grid Reference: NO 6268 5539



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
MANSES L-PLANA100
MANSESRUBBLE-BUILTTWO-STOREYB100
GARDENS  C100
PORCHES PROJECTINGD100
SUNDIALS TABLEE100
SUNDIALS INSCRIBEDF100
SUNDIALS INITIALLEDG100
SUNDIALS DATEDH100
SHAFTS CROCKETTEDI100
GATEPIERSASHLAR J100
CAPS MOULDEDK100
FINIALSBALL L100
WALLS SCREENM100
WALLS CURVEDN100