Angus HER - NO76SW0001 - CHURCH OF LOGIE

Print site NO76SW0001 Feedback on site NO76SW0001

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO76SW0001
NameCHURCH OF LOGIE
NRHE Card No.NO76SW1
NRHE Numlink 36341
HES SM No. 10344
HES LB No. 11179
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of a church and graveyard. The earliest remains of the church date from the 13th century, and there are several later phases of construction. The church continued in use after the union of the parish of Logie with that of Pert in 1661, but was abandoned in 1775 when the new church for the combined parish was built. It was restored, and possibly truncated, in 1857 as the burial place for the Carnegies of Craigo. The church is rectangular in plan, measuring approximately 11.5 metres x 6.5 metres (38 feet x 21 feet), and is constructed from coursed rubble. It is now unroofed, but survives to wallhead height. There are three narrow lights on the south wall, with masons' marks above. The church also includes a blocked round-headed priest's door and a medieval Sacrament House with an ogee arch capped by a fleur-de-lys. The church is to the north-east within the surrounding graveyard, which is pear-shaped and rubble-walled and includes some good examples of 18th century gravestones.
Last Update03/03/2020
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 370548.700592696, Northing: 763511.250227112

Google Map for NO76SW0001

National Grid Reference: NO 7054 6351



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CHURCHESRUBBLE-BUILTREMAINS OFA100
MASON-MARKS  B100
GRAVEYARDSWALLED C100
DOORS ROUND-HEADEDD100
WINDOWS NARROWE100
DOORWAYS BLOCKEDF100
HOUSESSACRAMENT G100
ARCHESOGEE H100
WALLSRUBBLE I100